A Truly Independent Family Funeral Director
Most people are unaware that many Funeral Directors are not owned by the family whose name appears above the door. Local personnel often manage many funeral directors, with the ultimate owners being much larger companies originating from other countries.
Sturrock Comb & Davidson are a family-run, independent Funeral Director who continue to build the business on trust & recommendation and the individual high quality service provided.
As a family run business, we take great pride in our work. We strive to ensure that the bereaved are given every care and attention.
Our modern premises mean that we are able to carry out our work in a sensitive, dignified and effective manner, allowing essential peace of mind to the bereaved.
Sturrock Comb & Davidson
The present business was formed when R. Sturrock & Sons amalgamated with Comb & Davidson, which brought together two long standing businesses to form a Company whose forebears had served the communities of Dundee and district for five generations.
Comb & Davidson
William Comb came to Lochee in 1896 and started a joinery and undertaking business at Whorterbank.
The business was continued by his sons Robert & David Comb who ran the business until their retiral, when Davidís son William took over.
In 1959 Hamilton Bros, another local undertaker was acquired and the business moved to 80 South Road, Lochee.
The business was forced to move to the present premises at 135 South Road in 1968 when the Kirk Street Multis were built. Trading continued until 1973 when a new partnership with Andrew Davidson & Son was formed.
Davidson Funeral Directors were formed by Andrew Davidson in 1908 and occupied premises at 76 High Street, Lochee,
where they remained until the amalgamation with William Comb & Son.
R Sturrock & Son
R Sturrock & Sons, now in its fifth generation, was originally started in Liff Road, Lochee in 1890 by Robert & George Sturrock, both Monikie men.Premises in Bank Street and Overgate, Dundee followed & in the early 1900ís new premises were opened at 150a Lochee Road from which the company still operate.
In 1996 further premises were opened at 34a Forfar Road at the time of the amalgamation of Niven McFadyen, Macalpine Road, into R Sturrock & Sons.